Gayme Probe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gayme Probe

A intelligent and penetrating discussion of what lies beneath video games.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gay Themes in Games

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gay Themes in Games Empty Gay Themes in Games Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Admin

Admin

What queer themes would you like to see explored in games? I think we need more than coming out, because, as we know, coming out doesn't end and doesn't make everything better. If it were done again I think it should be more about the perpetual comings out in the workplace, with extended family, strangers, you and a same sex partner in a nonqueer place.

I'd also like to see an exploration of sex, maybe not as an act, but as a driving force, identifier, crutch, drug, connection. I was reading issue 3 of Kill Screen and Katherine Isbister mentioned the helpfulness of a dating simulator to help kids adjust and prepare, gay men could certainly use that.

I'd also like something that deals with just queerness, a sort of out of sync view of the world as compared to the predominant straight world view. A game of perception would be provocative and original. Where your perspective and what seems natural to you is not what others see. Maybe switching perspectives of similar events, even mundane ones would be cool. Movies have tried this, but I believe video games could be much more powerful.

Thoughts?

https://gaymeprobe.forumotion.com

2Gay Themes in Games Empty Re: Gay Themes in Games Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Geejer

I'd like to see (queer) sexuality used as a tool in a game, not just a narrative element. It could be used in something like an espionage game, where seduction and manipulation could give the player more options on how to approach a situation. Or in open-ended RPGs where NPCs could have a "kinsey scale" that, when combined with your charisma stats and your own scale, offers different possibilities or bonuses when interacting.

3Gay Themes in Games Empty Re: Gay Themes in Games Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:55 pm

SlyRedPanda

I personally think coming out stories are not done enough in gaming. If they are, they are typically very stereotypical and underwhelming. Personally I'd like a storyline where a character has to come out to him/herself, battling inner demons and finally overcoming his/her own internalized homophobia.

I would also like to see a game about the first time a person comes out to the gay 'scene.' It would portray a sense of wonder and discovery, as well as the potential to not be welcomed with open arms. The feeling of finding somewhere 'safe,' only to realize that said place has its own rules and dynamics.

Last but not least... a good, complex love story.

4Gay Themes in Games Empty Re: Gay Themes in Games Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Admin

Admin

So Geejer wants sex as a weapon. What would Pat Benatar say? I think I would like that game as a silly collection type game or a dating simulator. Maybe it could be like Charlie's Angels and you were Charlie sending the appropraiate agent(s) into the field.

Panda, have you seen A Closed World, it sounds exactly like you're talking about with internalized homophobia. It's a free flash game. Check it out. You're right there aren't many coming out games, but coming out seems to be the only story gay media tells; it's important and a coming of age, but I'd like to see gay narratives expanding. I'd love to see something historical, as XCOM is doing with their closeted gay man in the 60's. The AIDS crisis, WWII, Don't Ask Don't Tell, things that show us where we came from would be great, especially for younger gamers who think gay is no big deal. It took a lot to get us to that place.

5Gay Themes in Games Empty Re: Gay Themes in Games Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:12 pm

SlyRedPanda

Admin wrote:

Panda, have you seen A Closed World, it sounds exactly like you're talking about with internalized homophobia.

Yes I've played A Closed World, I thought it was a good start. However, so much about that game is left open to interpretation... it's a little too vague for my tastes. Don't get me wrong it is a phenomenal game considering the circumstances of its development. Also, because of its nature that is a bit open ended/open to interpretation, so much is based on the players perception. In my case I got things a little confused and tangled...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how XCOM elaborates on its gay character.

6Gay Themes in Games Empty Re: Gay Themes in Games Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:29 am

BigfootGolem

Personally, I'd like a game where a gay character has a prominent presence in the game, but the fact that they're gay is just as normal as if they were any other character. I'm not a fan of a character being gay as their whole personality, that they have no other interests, quirks, or attributes. Skyrim took a good step in this direction, but was less prominent as I would have liked.

7Gay Themes in Games Empty Re: Gay Themes in Games Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:56 am

Geejer

Playing Crisis Core: FFVII, the relationship between the main character Zach and his "senpai" Angeal reminded me of all the homosexual connotations in the Mentor/Apprentice relationships in Japanese culture. Until the arrival of western influence in Japan, it was traditional for mentors and apprentices in different trades to also become lovers. Once the apprentice "graduates" they would go on to marry and form a family. But still, the love between the two men was seen as superior, and they would be bound by honor for the rest of their lives. This included the Samurai class. I'd love to see this kind of relationship be explored in an action/rpg set in feudal Japan.

8Gay Themes in Games Empty Re: Gay Themes in Games Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Admin

Admin

I like that idea.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum